I love quick and easy dinners. After I get home from work in the evening, the last thing I want to do is spend hours in the kitchen. This soup is at the top of my easy dinner rotation. It calls for one rotisserie chicken, so I stop and pick one up on my way home from work. Then it’s as simple as preparing the vegetables and combining all the ingredients in a pot!
This is also the soup I make when I feel a cold or sickness coming on. The powerful ingredients, listed below, help your body fight off illness naturally.
- Turmeric - a potent antioxidant and anti inflammatory. It also has antibacterial and antiviral properties. I discuss more about my love of turmeric in my Super Healing Bone Broth Drink recipe.
- Bone Broth - contains the amino acid glycine, which the body needs more of when there is infection or illness. I talk more about the health benefits of bone broth in my recipe.
- Kale - full of Vitamin C, which boosts the immune system.
This soup is simple and packed with healthy ingredients. Which is why it's one of my favorite easy weeknight meals.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Servings|
|25 mins||20 mins||45 mins||6|
- The meat from 1 Rotisserie Chicken (about 5 cups of cooked chicken), shredded into bite size pieces
- 3 tbs cooking fat - coconut oil, lard, or ghee
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 7 cups bone broth, homemade or high quality store bought
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed, cut or ripped into bite size pieces
- 2 medium zucchini - cut into “zoodles” using a spiral vegetable slicer
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, add the cooking fat and diced onion. Cook on medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Pour the bone broth into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the kale and parsley
- Let simmer about 15 minutes, until the kale is soft and cooked down.
- Add the rest of the spices: oregano, thyme, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Add the zoodles and shredded chicken.
- Let simmer for a few minutes until warmed through.
- Serve and enjoy!