This slow cooker brisket is a perfect meal all year round. I love making this recipe in the summer because it means I don’t have to turn the oven on. My apartment’s air conditioning cannot keep up with the hot Washington DC summers, so I use my slow cooker for many of my meals! I love to prepare my slow cooker with all the ingredients the night before, then I can just take it out of the fridge in the morning and start it before I go to work.
I started working on this recipe because I wanted to create a dish using the fresh herbs I have growing in my little city garden. I thought that the thyme and oregano I was growing would taste delicious with brisket. The fresh thyme turned out great after being slow cooked. However, the fresh oregano didn’t cook well in the slow cooker, which was disappointing. I have some other ideas for my fresh oregano though!
This is a super easy and delicious weeknight meal. It only takes about 10 mins to throw everything in the slow cooker!You may notice that I don’t add any liquid to the recipe. I typically don’t add liquid when I’m slow cooking because the meat releases so much liquid while cooking.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Servings|
|10 mins||8 hours||8 hours||6|
- 1 brisket (2 to 3 lbs)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 lb of carrots, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 3 tbs fresh thyme OR 1 tbs dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the sliced onions to the slow cooker so they cover the bottom.
- Place the brisket on top of the onions. Optionally you can sear the brisket on medium-high heat before adding it to the slow cooker. I usually don’t do this though and I still think it tastes great!
- Add the chopped carrots around the brisket.
- Add the minced garlic, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper over the brisket.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- The brisket can be sliced or shredded. If slicing, be sure to cut against the grain.